By Georgia L. Irby
A better half to technology, expertise, and medication in old Greece and Rome brings a clean viewpoint to the research of those disciplines within the old global, with 60 chapters analyzing those issues from a number of serious and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean viewpoint to the learn of technological know-how, expertise, and drugs within the historic international, with 60 chapters interpreting those subject matters from quite a few severe and technical perspectives
- Begins insurance in six hundred BCE and comprises sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those principles into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, recommendations, and hobbies in historical technology, expertise, and medication in the historic, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st makes a speciality of mathematical and normal sciences; the second one specializes in cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set PDF
Similar special topics books
Paintings within the box of neuroprosthetics calls for multidisciplinary groups, yet those collaborators needs to meet on universal floor to enhance an realizing of the services and obstacles of every a part of a bioengineering undertaking. The guide of Neuroprosthetic tools offers a accomplished source for the options, methodologies, and strategies on hand to correctly layout and adopt experiments in the box of neuroprosthetics.
"The objective is to supply a accomplished reference e-book for the preclinicaldiscovery and improvement scientist whose duties span aim id, lead candidate choice, pharmacokinetics, pharmacology, and toxicology, and for regulatory scientists whose duties contain the evaluate of novel treatments.
In Singular Intimacies, which the recent England magazine of drugs acknowledged captured the'essence of turning into and being a doctor,' Danielle Ofri led us into the worrying, continually demanding global of big-city medication. In Incidental Findings, she's accomplished her education and is studying via perform to turn into a extra rounded healer.
The hot York instances bestselling writer of issues examines, in riveting money owed of scientific failure and triumph, how good fortune is accomplished in a posh and risk-filled profession The fight to accomplish good is common: every one folks faces fatigue, restricted assets, and imperfect skills in no matter what we do.
- The Saccharine Disease. Conditions Caused by the Taking of Refined Carbohydrates, Such as Sugar and White Flour
- On Monsters and Marvels
- Molecular Imaging: Fundamentals and Applications
- Mania: A Short History of Bipolar Disorder (Johns Hopkins Biographies of Disease)
- Issues in ophthalmic practice: current and future challenges
Extra info for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set
Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing Co. Gregory, A. D. 2013. The Presocratics and the Supernatural: Magic, Philosophy and Science in Early Greece. Bloomsbury: London. Gurney, O. R. 1952. The Hittites. Harmondsworth: Penguin (repr. 1990). Guthrie, W. K. C. 1962–1981. A History of Greek Philosophy. 6 volumes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Heidel, A. 1942. The Babylonian Genesis: The Story of Creation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Judson, L. 1983. ” OSAPh 1: 217–255. May, G. 1994.
TEGP 53) How original and radical Leucippus and Democritus are in their views here depends on what we attribute to Anaximander—did he (or anyone else) believe in an infinite number of co-existent cosmoi prior to Leucippus and Democritus? If not, then this is a radical departure. In any event, there are important differences in that Leucippus and Democritus attribute a significant role to chance and deny any form of intelligence, design, or purpose for the universe. Contentious issues are whether this can properly be 22 Andrew D.
Creatio Ex Nihilo: The Doctrine of “Creation out of Nothing” in Early Christian Thought. Edinburgh: T&T Clark. Penwill, J. L. 1974. ” Apeiron 8: 18–39. Sorabji, R. 1983. Time, Creation and the Continuum: Theories in Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. London: Duckworth. -P. 1965. Myth and Thought among the Greeks. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. Vlastos, G. 1975. Plato’s Universe. Oxford: Clarendon. West, M. L. 1963. ” CQ NS 13: 154–176. West, M. L. 1971. Early Greek Philosophy and the Orient.